Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Finding out - Part 2

A few days later, I went in for my biopsy. This is what I remember.

The technologist had very long grayish hair, and was very sweet. She brought me into a room for the procedure. I remember that there was wallpaper in that room that reminded me of the wallpaper in our kitchen: white with little bunches of flowers, very old-fashioned looking. Everyone involved was female -- a fact I found comforting -- and women bustled around me as they set up for my procedure. It turns out that they were trying out (!) a new kind of biopsy instrument, and the rep from the company was there as well, so it was crowded in the small procedure room.

I think they started with an ultrasound, but I'm not sure. They numbed my breast with a local anesthetic, and the doctor used the instrument to take cells from the lump. It was loud, and it hurt some. I think they gave me some extra lidocaine. I remember that she showed me what she had extracted from my breast: it looked like little tiny pellets. She also inserted some kind of marker into my breast, and after the biopsy, the long-haired technologist took me into another room for a mammogram to make sure the marker was placed correctly. I really didn't want a mammogram after all that, but it was necessary, and it hurt. I remember that the tech gave me an ice pack to put into my bra. Then I went home.

They told me it would take a few days for the results to be ready.

What's odd is that now I can look at the hospital records and see if my memory is correct. This is what it says:

ULTRASOUND-GUIDED CORE BIOPSY, RIGHT BREAST: The patient was referred for an ultrasound-guided core biopsy of a mass in the right breast at 12 o'clock. The procedure, risks and benefits were explained to the patient and written informed consent was obtained. A preprocedure timeout was performed using two patient identifiers. Using standard aseptic technique and 2cc 1% lidocaine for skin anesthesia, a small skin incision was made. Then a coaxial 10g needle was placed adjacent to the tumor mass and following deeper anesthesia with 10cc lidocaine with epinephrine for local anesthesia, 12- gauge Suros ATEC vacuum- assisted biopsy device was used to obtain seven core samples of this lesion. Following the biopsy, a retangular titanium SUROS clip was deployed into the lesion under direct ultrasound observation. The patient tolerated the procedure well and there were no immediate complications. The procedure was performed by XXX M.D. IMPRESSION: Successful ultrasound-guided core biopsy of a mass in the right breast at 12 o'clock. Pathology is pending
My primary care doctor told me to make an appointment for that Thursday -- 2 days later -- so she could give me the results. The problem is, they told me it would take 2 or 3 days to get the results. I was worried that the results wouldn't be ready in time for the appointment.

To be continued...

No comments: